Jackpot! Do you like buffalo sauce? I mean REALLY like buffalo sauce? Me too. Earlier this year, my husband committed to a Paleo lifestyle and now he’s always got some type of meat cooking in the slow cooker. I’m proud of his diet changes and the progress he’s made, but paleo isn’t my thing. Over the past year and a half I’ve slowing been moving away from a meat based diet to vegetable based and I feel much better. So a few weeks back when he made a batch of amazing smelling buffalo chicken, I had to take pause. I tried a small bite and while the it was delicious, I couldn’t get past the chicken.
This got me thinking. What could I make that’s got that buffalo kick, but satisfies my desire to stay away from meat? My search started and ended on pinterest. Sure enough, I found a recipe for spicy buffalo cauliflower, but sadly didn’t have any cauliflower. I did have brussels sprouts though, so I made some changes and viola!
They were amazing. Just the right amount of buffalo flavor to satisfy my tastebuds, but still adhering to my desire to stay away from meat. Try them for yourself. You’ll be glad you did.
Spicy Buffalo Brussels Sprouts (recipe adapted from here)
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- ½ c. brown rice rice flour
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. Frank’s Red Hot Wings Sauce, or whatever brand you prefer
- ¼ c. olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix together ½ c brown rice flour, ½ c water, dash of wings sauce and pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Dip the brussels sprouts in the batter until coated evenly then place on greased baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the batter hardens.
- Mix together ¼ c wings sauce, ¼ c olive oil and pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Remove brussels sprouts from oven after 15 minutes, brush them with the hot sauce mixture and bake again for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add more sauce if you like (I did)
- Choose a dip if you like, but they were great on their own too!